Registration is open until June 1 for a unique program that provides 180 experience hours toward a CFP designation.
Hannah Moore, CFP, a recipient of the FPA’s Heart of Financial Planning Award, created the program — The Externship — now in its fourth year. This year’s program will run from June 5 – July 28 and costs $299.
The Externship’s story and impact
Moore, founder of Amplified Planning, created The Externship in 2020 as a response to Covid. It was originally designed for college juniors and seniors who lost their internships. Since then, it has also attracted career changers, people reentering the workforce, entrepreneurs, and even current financial planners looking for professional development opportunities, according to a press release.
“Four years later, The Externship is positioned as a must-attend rigorous training program for future, new and established planners alike,” said the release. The program’s virtual and experiential structure will show participants what their career could look like and provides them with the framework, knowledge and skills necessary to succeed.
The 2023 program
This year’s program and curriculum includes:
- An 8-week program, taught by more than 50 financial professionals and industry experts who instruct on critical areas including retirement planning, investment management, and tax and estate planning.
- Real-life client scenario case studies that follow actual clients and their planners through multiple meetings and important financial decisions.
- Assignments that allow externs to step into the role of planner. Externs will also receive feedback, helping them make strides in the quality of their deliverables.
- Access to industry-leading technology tools that help with real life workflows.
- Special content and extension courses that explain the various roles available in advisory firms.
- A place for partnering companies to post job opportunities.
- A toolkit and guide to help firms use the curriculum to amplify their own summer internship programs.
“We hear from firms large and small that companies want to give their summer interns meaningful experiences, but that they don’t have the personnel or curriculum to make it a reality. This new program is designed to do just that,” said Moore.
Support from strategic partners
Charles Schwab, with its RIAConnect® program, is The Externship’s lead partner. Other partners include e-Money Advisor, the CFP Board, Kaplan, XY Planning Network, Income Lab, Asset Map, LPL Financial, Morningstar, Redtail and the FPA.
In 2022, nearly 700 students registered for The Externship. Approximately 42% identified as females, 11% identified as Black or African American, 10.5% identified as Asian and 9.7% identified as Hispanic. Learn more about The Externship at Externship – Amplified Planning.