We took a look back at our top stories of 2021 and saw that a mix of topics strongly resonated with Rethinking65 readers. We’re also very thankful for all the support we’ve received during our first year from financial advisors and other professionals around the country.
Among our most popular stories were two tax articles by advisor Scott Stratton. In one, he explained how tax credits from the Affordable Care Act can help bridge the coverage gap before clients enroll in Medicare. In the other, he discussed tax strategies that will enable seniors to reduce required minimum distributions in 2022.
How to charge clients was also a hot topic that drew a lot of reader interest. Advisor Andy Panko penned “Why the Asset-Based Fee Model Has to Go.” Advisor James Brewer urged readers to “Drop ‘AUM’ and Adopt ‘LUC’” (short for “lives under care”) and also made the argument for why subscription-based planning works.
Several articles about rethinking retirement also made our top 15:
Former-accountant-turned-advisor Tony Hixon shared a gripping account of how a family crisis changed how he approaches retirement planning. Journalist Patricia McDaniel interviewed a wealth manager who helps clients figure out the “life aspects” of retirement and one of the advisor’s clients who founded a second career after he “flunked retirement.” And wealth manager Luis Strohmeier discussed a number of reasons “Why Retiring Now is a Bad Idea.”
Here is the complete list of our top 15 stories of 2021.
- Help Clients Retire Early with the Affordable Care Act (by Scott Stratton)
- A Family Crisis Changed My Approach to Retirement Planning (by Tony Hixon)
- Drop ‘AUM’ and Adopt ‘LUC’ (by James Brewer)
- Why the Asset-Based Fee Model Has To Go (by Andy Panko)
- Social Media Best Practices for Advisors (by Christopher Crawford)
- Purchasing an Annuity was My 42-Year Financial Mistake (by David Marotta)
- Why Subscription-Based Financial Planning Works (by James Brewer)
- Wealth Advisor Helps Older Clients Plan a Purposeful Future (by Patricia McDaniel)
- The Checkup Is in the Mail? Soliciting Letter Carriers to Help Deliver Health Care (By Elisabeth Rosenthal)
- Strategies for Lowering Retirement-Account RMDs (by Scott Stratton)
- What Advisors Can Learn from Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling Stones (by Jerilyn Klein)
- Don’t Mind the Cold? Retire to Ann Arbor, Michigan! (By Eleanor O’Sullivan)
- Are You Really a Financial Advisor? (by Andy Panko)
- Multimillion Real Estate Portfolio Presents Income, Inheritance Dilemma (by Mallon Fitzpatrick and Alicia Denton
- Why Retiring Now Is a Bad Idea (by Luis Strohmeier)
Jerilyn Klein is editorial director of Rethinking65. If you’re interested in contributing, please contact her.